Friday, November 21, 2008

Now what

I don't have a job, but I have enough money saved to go some time before doing anything drastic if I do nothing but pay the mortgage, bills and food. So Monday afternoon I go to a new grocery store that advertised itself as a farmer's market because they had opening specials. My first impression of the store was, "This isn't a farmers' market; this is a Whole Foods clone." I can tell the difference. I grew up in the country buying tomatoes and fruits from roadside pickups. I spent a small amount of money on bread, fruits and vegetables because fresh food is way cheaper than processed food. Tuesday, my sweet potato pie has mold. Wednesday evening, I pull out the snap beans and they're slimy. It's now Thursday and the loaf of bread is starting to go sour. Sour? That's a new one. Moldy I get; sour is puzzling. If the only thing I can afford to buy is food, I damn sure want it to last a few days in the refrigerator without spoiling. This isn't Paris where I can pick up a bagatelle, some cheese and some fruit for dinner on the way home. My friends rant about Monsanto and GMO and ADM etc, but I'm going back to preservatives.

No comments: